Sunday, August 14, 2011

Thank You Canyons!

We've been waiting a long time for one of the seven local ski resorts to put in a legit effort to create a bike park. I don't mean trails that just happen to go (mostly) in a downhill direction. I'm talking about eight-foot-wide, butter-smooth trails with shoulder-high berms, 20-foot table tops, and landings big enough to park a bus on. When I heard that the Canyons was building "downhill trails," I was extremely skeptical. In fact, I waited until Alex and Chris rode there and gave me the report. So, with confirmation of radness in hand, Jen, Scott, and I went up to the Canyons and rode the first trail of their in-progress bike park. I have to say that I'm extremely happy with the direction that they're going. Although it's short, the first trail is comparable to A-line at Whistler (no shit). Despite only having one trail open, the hill kept our attention the entire day, and it did the same for the 20 other rippers that I saw on the hill.

Now, I'm a pretty cynical person. There are some issues with the place that I could point out and bitch about, but the pros of this effort far outweigh the cons, and most of the downsides are being addressed already. The bottom line is that this place is going to be a destination if the building continues at the same rate. So, go to the Canyons, spend $15 on a lift ticket, ride the shit out a kickass trail, and let them know that we're stoked on what they're doing and will support the effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment