Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Path Less Traveled

Another big storm rolled into the Wasatch today. Combined with the already deep and fluffy covering, the skiing should be amazing. But... I went ice climbing. Tim called and asked if I would join him in Maple, and I haven't been down there yet this year, so I wasn't too hard to persuade. Besides, the UAC has issued an avalanche warning, so it's not the best day to go get rad in the backcountry. Conditions were pretty good today, though warmer than we would have liked. The only really notable event was Tim leading Get Whacked (WI5) in conditions the resembled a vertical slushy. I cleaned most of the screws with a few turns and a good hard pull. Oh, and I trundled a massive rock off the top of Running Man. It was perched rather precariously at the edge of the route, ready to kill some poor bastard who climbed under it when a stiff wind blew. I pushed with about the same amount of force that you'd use to give someone a slap on the back and it pin-balled down the route and cratered at the edge of the road. I smiled.

1 comment: