Sunday, July 31, 2011

Race Weekend

I'm not a racer, but I do like to race once or twice a year. Jen, on the other hand, has never raced downhill before. Despite all of that, the two of us piled in the truck and drove to Pomerelle Idaho for a weekend of downhill. Unlike most of the Utah Series events, Pomerelle is a two-day race with one course on Saturday and another on Sunday. For various reasons, Jen and I only raced the Saturday course and had varied results. I blew one corner on my race run so bad that I had to run up the hill and get back on the trail. That put me in a disappointing 4th place (also known as last place, since there were only 4 people my age bracket who raced Cat 2). Jen, on the other hand, rode smooth and fast for a solid 3rd place finish in her first ever race. And that was on my trail bike. Our friend Brad took home 1st in Cat 1, and Christine took home 2nd in Cat 2 and was also the only woman to send the finish line drop.

Despite not racing, Jen and I stuck around for a while on Sunday to take some photos and see the ends of the first runs. It rained like mad all day and the runs were muddy and wet. People had some seriously scared expressions when they came across the line. Despite the gnar, Christine and Brad both took home gold medals in their categories. Nice work you two!

I always have a good time racing. I'm not very good at it, but it's always fun to pin a run as hard as I can and see if I'm faster than anyone else. I'm pretty pissed at myself for putting together such a shitty race run, but if everything always went right then it wouldn't be racing.

1 comment: